Teachers at our January 2010 educator workshop practice photography for their digital story. Click the image to watch the short digital story they made!
DIGITAL STORYTELLING IN THE CLASSROOM:
A one-day workshop for educators
Bring the power of digital storytelling into your classroom! Educators are invited to learn the basics of teaching their students how to produce digital stories about their lives, communities and common global issues, and then share them with their peers around the world (we focus mostly on middle and high school).
Participants will learn how to access Bridges’ youth-produced digital stories and curriculum guides, many in Spanish as well as English, to introduce their students to the cultures and communities of their peers in Bridges’ network of partner classrooms in Peru, Guatemala, India and South Africa. This workshop will walk educators through the Bridges classroom curriculum, including student activities for cultural identity and values exploration and reflection, photography, script writing, research, recording audio and multimedia digital story production.
The workshop will include:
- Simple ways to incorporate digital storytelling in your classroom.
- How to assemble small student teams and assign production roles.
- How to assess student work related to digital storytelling.
- Tips for classroom management when teaching digital storytelling.
- How to work with your school’s technology representative to make the best use of available technology.
- Practice assembling a digital story using youth-produced media, with user-friendly Windows Movie Maker (available on Seattle Public School computers).
- How to integrate digital storytelling into a wide array of classroom curricula including geography, social studies, science, technology, writing, photography, Spanish, ESL, and more.
- You do not need to be technology savvy to take this workshop.
Participants will receive:
- Clock hours (Seattle Public School teachers.)
- The Bridges to Understanding Digital Storytelling in the Classroom curriculum.